Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hot Fudge-Perfect for the Holidays and Quick too.



I am in a real time crunch this week. We are leaving for Italy (YEAH!) on Monday, I am catering a party this Saturday, AND crazy me decided to still do the farmers' market tomorrow (I am hiring a friend to sell for me though). Every Christmas I make few types of cookies to give as gifts, but this year it is not a feasible proposition. Did I mention that I am also seriously purging the house of all the stuff we don't need any more? That feels good, but it will take a while, and I have piles every where. Jill at Jillicious Discoveries gave me the idea of making something quick and delicious like chocolate truffle sauce, so here I am proposing a recipe different from hers, which I found in David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop.



This sauce is very rich, velvety, and chocolaty, perfect for a gift. I found the jars at Cost Plus for $.99 each, always a great source of bargains. They looked too cute so I knew they would work.


Semisweet Hot Fudge

adapted by The Perfect Scoop

1 cup heavy cream
3 oz. unsalted butter
2 TBS light corn syrup
2/3 cup sugar
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract

Bring all the ingredients, except the chocolate, to a soft boil simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add the chocolate and let melt for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth, ladle into the jars, let cool, seal and label. Keeps refrigerated for 2 week.


Notes:
When I make it again, I would decrease the sugar to 1/2 cup (my personal preference for less sweet things), and maybe add a little bit more cream to make it slightly less dense.

7 comments:

Gaia said...

mhmmm che buona..
Buon viaggio verso casa, allora!!

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

Oh Laura your Hot Fudge jars and decorations are too CUTE!! That looks like a great recipe too! Did you write a note or is that the recipe attached to it? I may have to borrow your decorating idea on a few jars I'm giving out. :)

One Girl In The Kitchen said...

Laura, ho appena scoperto tuo blog per vie traverse, saltandi da un blog a un altro, sai com'e'.
Quando torni in California ti va se ci incontriamo? Io sto a San Francisco, e sono un anima in pena: ho fatto lettere classiche a Venezia, lavoro nel marketing ma sogno di fare la marmellataia! Vedi che non sei sola.... : )
Intanto ti faccio tantissimi auguri di Buone Feste
Sara (onegirlinthekitchen)

Kris Ngoei said...

You are right, this seems like a very suitable Christmas Gift I would want to give for my close friends. Delicious and presentable!!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Y said...

I love the way you packaged the jars of hot fudge. Fantastic!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks delicious!

Merry christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Rosa

Karine said...

Your fudge sounds amazing!

Happy Holidays :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails