Saturday, March 13, 2010

Multiple Sclerosis Walk


Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disorder that affects the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). MS is more prevalent in women and it afflicts 300,000 people in the North America. The symptoms first appear at age 20 to 40, at a prime in a person's life, in some women the onset of the symptoms happens right after giving birth. I happen to know three women who were diagnose with it, plus two more who were relatives of friends. One of these women is Jane. Jane is a beautiful person, a mom to two small children, she has taught me a lot and is wearing her diagnosis with amazing grace.

Every story is different, every woman has different symptoms or progression, but for some the prognosis is grim, ending with a wheel chair, and for few death. The treatment involves drugs with severe side effects and high doses of steroids, which can mess up a person so much she is not functional for days. There is no cure for MS. Because the symptoms are neurological, many women who have MS appear totally healthy, and I bet you know one or two as well, who may not have told you their story, some can't share it.

Jane is amazingly courageous, after her diagnosis she has embraced eastern medicine, changed her diet, and practices daily yoga and meditation. Jane was diagnosed 8 years ago and today she is symptoms free. The MS society is organizing many events throughout the US, and on April 25th, Jane and her team will be walking 5 miles. I will be walking on her side, cheering for a cure, supporting her in her quest to raise MS awareness. Each participant is asked to raise $300, a small sum compared to other organizations. If you would like to support me, and the MS cause please donate following this link, or by clicking on the MS badge on the right menu bar.

This blog is about food, but ultimately I am human and life around me constantly affects who I am and the choices I make. That's why I decided to post about this, because MS is affecting me, seeing my friend's Jane courage is making me a better person as well.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Jane sounds like a very courageous women. A great event for a good cause...

cheers,

Rosa

Lisa said...

I love that you touched on this. I have a friend who was diagnosed last year and as brave as she is..just knowing what might happen terrifies her. In any event..great cause, indeed.

Gaia said...

a volte, eventi drammatici fanno affiorare l'energia sopita dentro di noi.
tanti auguri, di cuore!

Chandana said...

Hi,

Here's a blog that serves for your spiritual needs, and will surely be a blessing for you.

It has messages from the Holy Scriptures, taught by the Spirit of God.

These messages teach us how to have God in all the aspects of our lives and have God's rule over every matter :

www.holyoneofisrael-reconciliation.blogspot.com

Have a blessed reading and gladly write back if you need any prayer help.

God bless you and your family.

Laura said...

Rosa, thanks for your message, yes Jane is amazing.

Lisa Michelle, tell your friend to try alternative medicine. Two friends of mine do it and they are symptoms free.

Gaia, e' vero. Jane e' cambiata tantissimo, e' diventata molto piu' forte.

I guess I could have skipped publishing this comment, but I didn't since it is not offensive. I appreciate your offer of help, but not knowing my religious view I find a little arrogant to think that I need spiritual guidance and that I will find it in the bible. Not everyone believes that there is one and only god. Peace to you.

Y said...

I'm glad you wrote about this. When I was in school, I used to participate in fund raisers for MS research. All the best to your friend Jane!

resumedocket said...

I found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails