Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Daring Bakers-British Pudding


This month I am late, surprised? I even considered not participating this month because I don't have much time but then I thought that this challenge can be made pretty simple, and since I never made a steamed pudding I was intrigued. The upside is that we can have dessert for dinner tonight. Here I am at 5 PM pacific time waiting for the pudding to finish steaming. There isn't much sun so I am not sure of the quality of the photos I will take.

The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.

Traditionally British pudding is made either with a pastry shell or as a steamed spongy cake. The pudding can be sweet or savory. The must have ingredient is suet, which is the fat that surround the kidney of the cow. I had to pass on the suet because I was sure not to find it in my town, and I didn't have time to look for it. Esther included a recipe for a steamed sponge pudding that calls for bread crumbs but since it didn't sound too appealing I went to one of the web sites she suggested and found this recipe which calls for butter.


I steamed the pudding into heat proof ramekins covering the tops with a piece of parchment paper like the recipe describes. The pleat is important because the pudding expands while cooking. After 30 minutes the center were still uncooked so I steamed them for 1o more minutes.


Strawberry Rhubarb Steamed Pudding

Ingredients

  • 200g caster sugar
  • 125g unsalted butter
  • lemon zest
  • 2 medium eggs , beaten
  • 175g flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  1. Cook the rhubarb and the strawberries with sugar to taste over a gentle heat until thickened. Remove from heat.
  2. Grease a 900ml pudding basin. Put butter and remaining sugar in a bowl and cream together. Stir in vanilla extract, then beat in eggs, a little at a time. Sift in flour and carefully fold into the mixture.
  3. Spoon some jam into the bottom of the basin, then spoon the sponge mixture on top and level off surface.
  4. Butter a piece of greaseproof paper slightly bigger than the top of the pudding basin. Make a pleat in the center and secure over the top of basin. Repeat with a piece of foil, then secure the whole thing with string. Place in a pan half filled with simmering water. Cover and cook for 1½ hrs, checking regularly that the pan does not boil dry. Remove cover, invert the pudding onto a plate, then carefully lift off the pudding basin. Serve with crème fraîche or single cream.

To check other creations and find the original recipes, please check the daring kitchen's site.

21 comments:

Mary said...

Strawberry rhubarb sounds like a great combination for a steamed pudding, and it's very British too! Your pudding looks lovely:)

enza said...

laura blogger non mi aggiorna la tua pagina, non m'arriva il feed.
m'arrivasse almeno un pezzo di questo puddinh so british :))

Amy Lucille said...

Looks beautiful, great job.

Eve said...

They are beautiful, and sound absolutely yummy! Good job!

linda said...

Your mini pudding looks so cute. Perfect when combined with creme anglaise. Thank goodness for that last bit of light, your photos looks great =D

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very well done! Your mini puddiings look lovely! A delicious combo...

Cheers,

Rosa

limo hire said...

This sounds yummy..

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Glad you didn't give up, because you did a beautiful job!!

Audax said...

What lovely little puddings you made for this challenge well done they look exquisite superb work. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Simona Carini said...

Carinissimi i tuoi pudding mono-porzione. This was a very interesting challenge: I was also intrigued by the cooking method.

Ruth H. said...

I love your "pudding dishes!" I have wanted to make a strawberry rhubabr pie for a very long time, but these puddings might just have to come first! Beautiful job!

Laura said...

Mary, thanks for stopping by!

Enza, mi stupisci sempre perche' sei sempre in piedi a ore indecenti, ti tiene sveglia la piccolina? Prova a rimettermi nella lista. E' successo lo stesso con il sito di dorie greenspan, non so perche'.

Amy, thanks!

Eve, they were yummy, although a tad dry.

Linda, it was so dark when I started, and then the sky opened, pretty lucky.

Hi Rosa, and thank you!

Limo hire, glad you stopped by.

SSS, thanks for stopping by, the title of your blog sounds really intriguing, I will have to stop by.

Audax, thanks for coming by, I was impressed by the number of variation of this challenge you made, you are such an inspiration.

Simona, devo dire che lo provero' di nuovo con una ricetta diversa, e' venuto troppo secco. Inoltre secondo me mancava il sapore della caramelizzazione che si ottiene nel forno. E' una ricetta da avere nel caso manchi il forno.

Ruth, I always try to make individual desserts, they just look adorable. I love this flavor combination, and I am glad I did make some extra jam, now I can enjoy it on my bread too.

Dewi said...

Laura, yours look superb. I especially like that creme anglaise with ginger.

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

I love these two flavors!! Did you take any pictures?? I know it probably looked fantastic!! :)

Laura said...

Elra, thanks! I had fun.

Jill, that was so strange. First the post was saved as a draft, then when I posted again, the pictures disappeared from the post. Blogger is going insane I think. I am glad you asked about the pictures, I wouldn't have noticed for a while.

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

LOVE the pictures---I'm glad they are back up! :)

natural selection said...

Esther is going turn this into a melee with this competition..that puddings are incredible!

Renata said...

They are really cute, must be delicious!

Y said...

Stunning looking puddings! I normally associate pudding with Winter desserts, but the fruits you've picked for this challenge make your pudding look so fresh and Summery. Yum :)

Laura said...

Jill, that was really weird, I never had the problem of the picture disappear from a post.

Natural selection, it was a fun challenge, and something I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

Renata, thanks for stopping by.

Y, I think too that puddings are more a winter dessert, but they worked surprisingly well.

Discount coupons said...

It looks amazing.. love them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails