Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bread Baker's Apprentice #6-Challah Bread

This photo was taken with my friend Jeanne's phone as I forgot to take any picture before I went to her house for dinner and I was surprised by the good quality of this picture. My friends did some extensive work in their house, and now they have a gorgeous kitchen with a huge isle that is perfect for food photography, what an amazing space. Jeanne and I already plan to spend time in her kitchen as she wants to learn more about baking, and what a great space that will be to work in.

This is the sixth week of the challenge started by Nicole at Pinch my salt. We are baking through Peter Reinhart's book The Bread Baker's Apprentice. We are going in alphabetical order because that is how the recipes are organized, and we are not publishing the recipes not to break any copyright laws. This book is a treasure of information, techniques, and stories on the different breads so if you are into bread or would like to start somewhere this is a great book to start. The amazingly prolific Peter Reinhart is coming out with another book this fall and I am looking forward to buying it. Last week it was Casatiello's week, but I left my bread in the fridge too many days, it barely rised, and since I didn't like the taste one bit I didn't write about it. This week was challah's week so I knew it would be good as I love this bread, and what a perfect thing to bring to a friend's house, a bread to break together.

I had made challah before, but this recipe was superior. It resulted in a soft and delicious bread that disappeared in no time with the help of many voracious little kids. It got the seal of approval from my friends who are Jewish, so I know it was good. I was able to take a piece home to make sure it passed the bread and jam test, and it did! Delicious!

14 comments:

Dewi said...

Beautiful gorgeous challah!

Kitchenlander said...

I'll make sure to ask you the recipe as soon as I change my oven. My tested recipe for challah comes from Williams Sonoma, but your enthusiasm about this makes me want put it to the test!

Oggi said...

The braid looks great and the best part is, it's delicious.

Sorry about your casatiello; I really love it I made it twice in one week.:)

Susie said...

Your Challah is great. Your braid perfect and so is the photo. :)
Glad to hear it tasted great.
Nice baking along with you,
Susie

Lien said...

Beautiful loaf, both pictures are stunning!

Laura said...

Elra, thank you! The recipe was really great, I was really impressed by the result too.

LA, I will share the recipe as it is really great and then I will like to hear the comparison.

Oggi, I totally agree, it was delicious. The Casatiello was a different story, I am not sure I have the time to try it again, too many tempting recipes around.

Susie, I will hop to your blog to see your braid, thanks for stopping by.

Lien, thanks for the compliments, it was fun to make for sure.

Rose said...

This looks SO good! Everyone is baking from that book, I am going to have to buy a copy :) Beautiful challah!

The Missing Piece said...

Gorgeous!

That's a great picture from your phone... my pictures from my phone never come out that good.

Maris said...

This looks so incredibly, incredibly amazing! I loved the BBA challah, too. It might be my favorite so far.

Simona Carini said...

Beautiful challah! It's a bread a like a lot. I also made it recently, and it was my first time. I am looking forward to making it again.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful challah! Love the toast. YUM.

ATigerInTheKitchen said...

Very nicely done -- you're right, that's a pretty great picture taken from a phone. Beautiful braid ... congrats!

Nico said...

very nice picture. I love this bread, it keeps fresh for long time, I'm having a piece for breakfast every morning since monday and still very good.

Talita said...

What a beautiful challah! The dough looks so soft and delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails