Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baked Peaches, Zabaglione Cream, and Streusel


I love summer for many reasons, one being the variety and deliciousness of stone fruit, so it is a sad day for me when I step into my local grocery store and all I see are apples and pears (I love pears and apples, don't get me wrong, but let's face it, they can't compete with stone fruit). Today was the day I sadly realized that the summer season is over, fall is here, and I have to change my baking flavors. I luckily had some wonderful baked peaches in the fridge so I made this flavorful dessert to say goodbye to summer and welcome fall.

This dessert is a winning combination for a dinner party as all the components are made ahead of time, all you need to do is assemble them on a plate. Baking the peaches concentrate the flavor, not to mention the wonderful color that the skin imparts to the pulp. For the best result buy free stone fruits so the pit comes off easily. The fruit should be perfectly ripe for the skin to come off easily, best is to buy the fruit 2 to 3 days before you plan to serve them.

Zabaglione is traditionally made with Marsala, but I prefer to use more delicate sweet wines, like Port, Sauternes, or Passito.

Almond Streusel
8 oz finely ground almonds (pistachios will work really well too)
8 oz sugar
8 oz all purpose flour
8 oz cold butter, cut in pieces
Mix the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the cold butter and mix until it just starts coming together. Cool for at least an hour in the refrigerator (the unbaked streusel keeps for few days). When ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 325F. Spread the desired amount on a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes. When the sides start coloring, remove the pan from the oven and break any lumps with a bench scraper, mixing the streusel for even baking. Cook for another 5 minute and repeat the mixing, so no lumps form. When the streusel in nicely colored but still soft looking, remove it from the oven, repeat the breaking of the lumps one more time and cool completely. Keep in an airtight container. This is such an amazing recipe and it can be made with other nuts, and sprinkled on anything. Warning, it is addictive!


Baked Peaches

8 free stone peaches (yellow or white)
1/2 cup sweet wine (same wine use for the zabaglione)
sugar to taste

Cut the fruit in half and remove the pit. Bake at 400, cut down, covered with aluminum foil, until tender but not mushy (10-15 minutes). Let cool, remove the skin, and cover with the pan juices. Refrigerate until needed.


Zabaglione Cream

8 yolks
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup sweet wine (Port, Sauternes, or Passito)

1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Mix the yolks, the sugar, and the wine in a stainless steel bowl. Adjust the bowl on a pan of boiling water so the bottom doesn't touch the water. Cook the zabaglione whisking constantly. To make it more stable, cook it until it deflates and is very creamy, 15-20 minutes. Strain it and let it cool completely on an ice bath. Whip the cream to stiff peaks and fold it into the zabaglione. Keep refrigerated at all times.

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A lovely dessert! So refined and deliciously fruity.

Cheers,

Rosa

Genny said...

splendido dessert di fine estate

pastella said...

Ciao Sara, di nuovo complimenti x questa ricetta di fine estate. Ti ho mandato un commento ieri. Come si puo' resistere a tanti e tali profumi e sapori? I can't, anche se l'estate a SF inizia ora. Arrivo ad Ottobre e poi mi ristabilisco di nuovo li'. Ti va' di metterti in contatto con me? Anch'io ho a che fare con ristoranti x il mio lavoro con il vino. Fatti sentire. A presto.Pastella

Dewi said...

Such a lovely dessert to have, especially serve with zabaglione cream. It's my kind of dessert.

Thank you for your info about olive Laura. I am pretty new about the whole process. I also want to buy a new plant, but not sure which kind. I have 4 huge tress in my backyard, fruiting, but I think the fruit are too small. So, I want to buy olive tree that has huge fruit. Do you what the best one? I like those Italian olive that I normally buy from AG Ferari, or whole foods sometimes carry them too. I must check the name.

natalia said...

Che bontà ne mangerei adesso !

lisa is cooking said...

So true that pears and apples just aren't quite the same as stone fruits! Your streusel and zabaglione look delicious. Great use of the peaches!

Kris Ngoei said...

I have got peaches in my fridge and desperate to make something out of them. Thanks for this great recipe :-)

Sawadee from bangkok,
Kris

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails