Sunday, February 20, 2011

Snow on Mt. Tamalpais

I interrupt the usual food postings to share with you some pictures taken during an early morning hike. Mt. Tamalpais stands 2,571 feet tall, or 784 meters, and being located in a very temperate area, it rarely sees any snow. I saw snow on the mountain only once before in the 9 years I have lived here, but it melted before I was able to hike up. Today was different, mainly it happened on a Sunday, and I was so determined to go up that I left the house by 8AM.

There was so much snow that it lasted a while, and there is still some this afternoon thanks to some cold clouds covering the sun. I took the view all in as I may never see this again in my lifetime, just amazing and priceless.

Downtown San Francisco seen from the top

Apparently the snow fell at a 100-year record high, I measured 6" of snow on the picnic tables near the top of the mountain, and it was so early that the snow was untouched. What an amazing place this is, I took the view all in as it is something I might not see again.

If you ever are in the Bay Area, this is a place to visit, well worth the hike.


Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Thanks for sharing! What a beautiful place/view!



Gaia said...

Belle le impronte delle mani sulla neve!
Molto più belle qui che sul cemento di hollywood!

Anonymous said...

Love you blog. Snowy Mt Tam pix are awesome! Elevation needs correction - it's 2571 feet / 784 meters. Cheers!

Laura said...

Rosa, thanks!

Gaia, adoro lasciare impronte sulla neve fresca.

Anonymous, I wish you had left your name ;o) And you are absolutely right, elevation is 2,571 feet, oopsy!


Related Posts with Thumbnails