Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Shallots and Thyme




This is by far one of the easiest and most delicious dishes I have made  in a long time.  Roasting concentrates the flavor of many vegetables, and it is a quick and easy way to cook them.


I wish I had taken a photo of the carrots before preparing them, they were so beautiful, the colors so intense and appetizing.  I found them at the Point Reyes Farmers' market, which is held on Saturdays during the spring and summer months, such a special spot.  I also saw this beautiful chard but didn't buy it. 


This recipe will work with any carrots.   I have used butternut squash before, in which case you can use sage instead. The amounts are just and indication, if you like more thyme feel free to add more.

Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Shallots and Thyme

Two bunches of rainbow carrots
4 medium shallots
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
salt to taste
 
Pre-heat the oven to 400F.  Peel the shallots, leaving the root side intact, and cut them in thin sections.  Peel and cut the carrot in half lengthwise.   Toss the vegetables with the oil, thyme, and salt.  Cook on a baking pan lined with parchment paper until soft, 15-20 minutes, stirring few times.

14 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful way of preparing carrots! Roasted vegetables are so tasty.

Cheers,

Roa

Gaia said...

In attesa che le tue carotine colorate spuntino nell'orto della mamma e nella speranza che non passi prima di me qualche animaletto piu' affamato...
mi godo il tuo piatto!

un bacione

Simona Carini said...

Che voglia mi fai venire!

Sandra said...

This looks delicious! Simple, healthful, nutritious, and lovely.

wicker conversation sets said...

delicious food you are publishing here amazing choice and i think your this food healthy full nutrition. I love this yammmy

Orchidea said...

Bellissimo questo piatto di carote arrostite! Mi piacciono tutte le verdure arrostite.
Ciao.

Ambra said...

Really liking your blog. I see you're from Venice: I was born in Trieste but have lived in Sydney, Australia all my life. I've recently started a blog and although it wasn't meant to be only about food, it mostly is! And gardening. Take a look. Hope you enjoy it. I blog at 'The Good The Bad and the Italian'.

Anonymous said...

The colors are amazing! AND that chard looks delish...love it. Found your blog today from Once In a Lifetime Travel post. Glad I checked out your blog!

MrBrownThumb said...

Wow, this looks stunning and delicious.

Dewi said...

Carrots, when cook properly, it can be very delicious and appetizing.

e / dig in hobart said...

Hello, I've just found your lovely blog. I hope you update soon, you are delicious! I love roasted vegies, and silverbeet (as we call swiss chard in Australia), and i made a roast vegie salad recently and posted it on my blog. looking forward to you coming back.

Bron said...

I absolutely adore roasted vegetables, sadly we don't have carrots avaliable now for a while. Something to look forward to the are first new baby spring ones.

Yuli said...

The colors in that dish match the fall colors so well!

Leah Faust said...

Gorgeous, and somehow I have all of the ingredients in the house. This is happening for dinner tonight!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails