Sunday, November 6, 2011

Oatmeal with Apples and Cranberries


This morning I woke up at 5, which was actually 6 yesterday, but didn't remember the time had changed until I saw the light starting to change outside.  It will take me few days to get used to the Fall Back time change.  I decided to go outside and take few pictures in the early morning hours, before the sun came up, something I should do more ofter, it is so magical.  


There are so many wild birds where I live and the best time to see them is in the morning.  One of the most prominent birds in town is probably the Canadian goose, a migratory bird that apparently figured it out that this area is perfectly fine to make it a permanent home.  They normally spend time in the many grassy areas around town, but being water birds this morning they were in their element, just beautiful.  


The weather has changed rather suddenly and the fall temperature  fell sharply the past week.  While I enjoyed being outside so early and in the company of just wild animals, I quickly became pretty chilled.  When I got in the car I decided to make oatmeal for breakfast.  Oatmeal is one of those things you can make in myriad versions, adding just oats and water or plenty of goodies,  to your heart's desire.  Below you can find the version I made today, next time I might change it up a little.  Pecans would work, so would banana slices added at the end.   Mental note to self, make this more often, it is so good!


Oatmeal with Cranberries and Apple
1 1/2  cups thick rolled oats
1/2 cup cranberries
1 apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 cups milk
water

Mix all the ingredients in a heavy bottom sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes, adding water as the oats cook to keep it creamy.  Eat warm.  Serves 2.



Avena Cotta con Mela e Cranberries
150 gr fiocchi d'avena
50 gr cranberries secchi o uvetta sultanina
1 mela, tagliata a dadini
30 gr zucchero di canna
1 cucchiaino di cannella
1/2 stecco di cannella
500 ml latte parzialmente scremato
acqua q.b.

Aggiungere tutti gli ingredienti in un pentolino con fondo spesso.  Portare ad ebollizione e lascire sobbollire fino a che i fiocchi d'avena sono cotti, 10-15 minuti, aggiungendo acqua quanto basta per mantenere una consistenza morbida.  Servire caldo.


9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a treat I have many many times... Yours looks delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Sandra said...

That looks delicious, Laura. Will have to try this in this colder weather for sure!

Simona Carini said...

Yours is the second post about oatmeal that I read today: is it the weather? The temperature certainly took a nose dive. Beautiful photos, Laura!

Laura said...

Rosa, I will make it over and over again, it kept me satiated for hours!


Sandra, it is something you want to eat piping hot to warm your belly.

Simona, it must be the weather for sure! Thanks for compliment. There is 1 good picture for every 20 bad ones, lucky I can easily push the trash button.

Lisa said...

It was so good to see your again, Laura, and a compliment on my gnocchi from you - who rocks and knows so much about Italian cuisine, nade my day! I've been seeing lots of warm, comforting oatmeal preps all over the blogosphere, but yours, with cranberries and apples, is REALLY making me crave it. The photo of it is beautiful - and makes me want it even more!

MyFudo™ said...

Your pictures are magical! Right, this is something you should be doing often...posting great recipes, that is. Have a great day ahead!

Laura said...

Lisa, I love your blog, your posts are always nice to read. The oatmeal was really good, I couldn't stop saying I need to do eat it more often.

MyFudo, thanks for the visit, I love blogging, it is a great hobby for sure.

lisa is cooking said...

I have so many apples right now, and I love getting ideas for using them. This looks so good with the mix of apples and cranberries!

Simones Kitchen said...

O that is so delicious Laura! And you're right; I too love going out early in the morning as it is just so beautiful and peaceful but I certainly do not do it often enough!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails